Okay, so for the latte card, I knew what image I wanted to use, knew my colors, but I didn't have a sentiment that would fit nor did the mug look right just stamped on plain white CS. Soooo, I cut out the mug (I wanted the bottoms of the steam lines showing), pressed the image onto a VersaMark pad, covered with clear embossing powder and heat set it. To me, this gives the mug a lacquered appearance...just like the latte mug I use at home :O) I stamped another mug in plain Sahara Sand on the white CS (to give a faux shadow), and added the base shadow using Sahara Sand (stamped it off on another sheet first to give a lighter shadow).
I recently developed a serious interest in learning to quill paper, which stemmed from CardMaker magazine's May 09 edition. It has some amazing projects with paper quilling! In true, Kristin fashion, new cool craft = I have to learn to do it myself! I don't know why I'm like that, but I am...with everything. I haven't really researched it yet, but I'm dying to know how to do it and how to do it well. I just found this site that I think might be an amazing help to me (not my checkbook...I'm a gadget-girl also...have to own all the gadgets to create all of these things :O) Check out Quilled Creations if you're interested. If you know of another site that deals with paper quilling, please feel free to share! I'm still in research mode so every lead helps!
So, here's is my LAYMAN stab at quilling paper for my steam :O) LOL
Now, the sentiment that came with the PTI Warm Happiness set just wouldn't fit this layout, sooo, I had to make my own sentiment that was appropriate. I used the "Thanks a" from a "Thanks a lot" rub on, and pulled out my white rub on letters to create the "latte". Common sentiment, but I didn't have a stamp with it...so, the rub ons worked like a charm for me :O) I adhered using a glue dot and covered it with a dew drop (even though I found that you couldn't see the glue dot through the vellum). If I were to do this over, I would trim the paper to fit the sentiment only and leave out the dew drop.
I added two, dark chocolate buttons (from my PTI Vintage Buttons stash). I originally tried adhering chocolate covered espresso beans to my card which matched perfectly! BUT, I didn't want them to melt to the paper, so I tried putting them in a tiny plastic ziplock (the kind you use for jewelry), but it was too tight, so I tried shrink wrapping the beans...which was bulky and ended up melting the beans the more I tried to smooth out the plastic with the heat gun. That was my sign that the espresso beans should NOT go ON the card :O) LOL
I used the SCS color challenge (CC221) for my color palette. DISCLAIMER: I am NOT an "orange" girl by any stretch of the imagination. It is probably my LEAST used color. I don't even know if I've really used it before...other than some rust variations. Anyway, I say this to let you know it was a STRUGGLE to use it on this card. I'm envious of gals like Dawn Easton who use it effortlessly on a regular basis and return beautiful cards!
I colored the main image by pressing it to the Kiwi Kiss stamp pad and coloring the flowers with SU! markers. I sponged the white panel with Kiwi Kiss before adhering. I decided to create faux stitching, 1 - because I cannot use a sewing machine to save my life, and 2 - it matched the stitching on my button :O) Plus I wanted to add interest between the DSP and the plain green panel. I pierced the holes using Tim Holtz's Design Ruler, and simply drew white lines with my SU! white gel pen. I added two orange crushed velvet buttons (to get rid of them if nothing else :O) LOL and tied the flowers to the white twill. The sentiment is from PTI Birthday Basics and is stamped in Riding Hood Red. Pretty basic card...and TOTALLY different than my latte card.
Check out our Design Team's amazing sneak peeks! You're sure to get inspired by their takes on this sketch!
Can't wait to see what you come up with! Hope you find some time to stamp this weekend :O)